- The GeForce 8800 GT Mac Edition was a graphics card by NVIDIA, launched in February 2008. Built on the 65 nm process, and based on the G92 graphics processor, in its G92-270-A2 variant, the card supports DirectX 11.1. Even though it supports DirectX 11, the feature level is only 100, which can be problematic with many DirectX 11 & DirectX 12 titles.
- Mac OS X support was later added in version 2.0, which supersedes the beta released February 14, 2008. GeForce GTS 250, GeForce 9800 GX2, GeForce 9800 GTX, GeForce 9800 GT, GeForce 8800 GTS(G92), GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 9600 GT, GeForce 9500 GT, GeForce 9400 GT, GeForce 8600 GTS, GeForce 8600 GT, GeForce 8500 GT.
- The award-winning NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT features 112 high-powered processing cores and supports dual 30-inch Apple Cinema HD displays. Compatible with any Intel-based Mac Pro, the GeForce 8800 GT includes NVIDIA’s video processing technology which offloads H.264 decode enabling silky smooth playback of high-definition video.
Unlike the GeForce 8800 GT, one card is compatible with ALL models of Mac Pro (2006 - 2008). You can order the GeForce 8800 GT kit for whatever Mac Pro you own by going to the Apple Store USA and clicking on the 'Displays' link in the left column. You'll see two versions of the GeForce 8800 GT listed: The 'early 2008' and '1st Generation' models.
This article applies only to video cards that originally shipped with a specified Mac Pro or were offered as an upgrade kit by Apple. Similar cards that were not provided by Apple may have compatibility issues and you should work with the vendor of that card to confirm compatibility.
Mac Pro (2019)
Learn more about cards you can install in Mac Pro (2019) and how to install PCIe cards in your Mac Pro (2019).
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
- Dual AMD FirePro D300
- Dual AMD FirePro D500
- Dual AMD FirePro D700
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
- ATI Radeon HD 5770
- ATI Radeon HD 5870
Learn about graphics cards supported in macOS 10.14 Mojave on Mac Pro (2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012).
Mac Pro (Early 2009)
Nvidia Geforce 8800 Gt Mac Pro 3.1
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
- ATI Radeon HD 4870
- ATI Radeon HD 5870, offered as an upgrade kit
The Radeon HD 5870 card requires Mac OS X 10.6.4 or later and the use of both auxiliary power connections.
Mac Pro (Early 2008)
- ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (part number 630-9191 or 630-9897)*
- NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600
- ATI Radeon HD 4870, offered as an upgrade kit
The Radeon HD 4870 card requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later.
Geforce 8800 Gt Mac Pro 1 1
Mac Pro (Original)
- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
- ATI Radeon X1900 XT
- NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 (part number 630-7532 or 630-7895)*
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (part number 630-9492), offered as an upgrade kit.*
The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT card requires Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later with the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 or the computer may not start up properly.
* To identify a graphics card part number, check the label on the back of the card.