Unlike the iPhone, the Mac can quickly turn into a device with many cluttered files. Apple provides you here already with the Finder and powerful tool, which can help you to more organized – but only if you also know and use the small aids. A practical example is, of course, the folder colors, which provide a better overview.
Download Folder Colorizer for macOS 10.9 or later and enjoy it on your Mac. Folder Colorizer allows you to customize your folders with just about any color. Would like to make your folders looks cool? Or want to organize your folders to make things easier to find? Change the color of your folders. Once you've add the above to either /.bashprofile or /.profile you can either logout/login or source the file in your shell, for eg: $. /.bashprofile NOTE: If you need help in selecting colors to use you can use this online tool called LSCOLORS Generator.
Mac Folder Icons
Under macOS High Sierra there are even more possibilities. For example, you can adjust the color of the folder by clicking a few times to suit your needs and thus make it much more personalized. This increases the recognition value for special file groups and sometimes makes finding them easier. For example, you can create color codes to see the current processing status. Finished files can be placed in a green folder, while unfinished files hide behind a red icon.
Finder: How to change the folder color under macOS
We would like to use a new folder to explain how you can give it a different color or even a different image as an icon. Therefore, first create a folder on your desktop by right-clicking and selecting “New Folder” from the context menu. Now click it with the right mouse button and select “Information”. A comprehensive information window is now displayed. Select the folder icon above the “Tags” input field and copy it by pressing the command key (cmd) + (c) on your keyboard.
Folder Color is a neat tool to customize your Mac OS X folder icon, create colorful and unique folder icons for your computer to classify and manage your folders highly efficient. Features: Number of customized yet friendly folder icons supplied in resource library. Support adding pictures into resource library and edit them to specialized your.
Now open the Finder and call up the Applications folder. Start the “Preview” application here. Click on “File > New from Clipboard” in the menu bar to insert the old icon. You will now see several icons. Select one and then click on “Tools > Color Correction” in the menu bar to adjust the color of the new icon. For example, the individual sliders can be used to turn the blue symbol into a green or gray one.
Once you have made your adjustments, the new version must be fully selected. To do this, press the command key (cmd) + (a) so that the software frames the icon in dashed lines. Then copy it by pressing the command key (cmd) + (c) on the keyboard. Now switch back to the info window of the folder. Now select the icon next to the name again and replace it with the new version. Use the command key (cmd) + (v) to insert the changed image. Your folder is now colorful and easier to distinguish.
Professional tip: You can also set other or your own images as folder icons. Copy a photo and paste it as described above.
- Step 1 : Create a new folder.
- Step 2 : Right-click on the folder and then select “Information”.
- Step 3 : Now click on the folder icon next to the name and then press Command (cmd) + (c).
- Step 4 : Open the preview app and insert the folder via “File> New from Clipboard”.
- Step 5 : Click on “Tools> Color Correction” in the menu bar.
- Step 6 : Use the different sliders to adjust the color of the folder.
- Step 7 : Once you have adjusted the color, press the command key (cmd) + (a) so that the folder is outlined with dashed lines.
- Step 8 : Now press the Command (cmd) + (c) key to copy the folder.
- Step 9 : Return to the info window from step 2.
- Step 10 : Now select the icon again and press Command (cmd) + (v) to change the color.
David is the chief editor, publicist, and marketer by profession at Optocrypto. He is a Passionist for the technological world and wants to aware of all the benefits of the latest technology.
Whether you want to make your desktop look more colorful or you just want to play around, the macOS has certain features that will allow you to change the color of the folders on your Mac.
Adding some cool colors to the folders can be useful for you to identify certain types of folders. Maybe you want to keep some folders in different colors to give your desktop a cool look or at least want a change in your desktop for some days, you can do it easily with this quick tutorial.
How To Change Folder Colors On Your Mac
To change the folder color, follow these steps below.
- Create a Folder in any location you want in the Finder.
You can also use an existing folder, I’m using a new folder just to show you this tutorial.
- Right-click on the folder that you choose and click on Get Info.
A window with Folder info will be displayed.
- Click on the folder icon next to the folder name on the top.
- Click Edit -> Copy from the menu bar or use the keyboard shortcut Command + C.
- Now open Spotlight search using Command + Space and type Preview to open the Previewapp on your Mac.
- With the Preview app open, click File -> New from Clipboard from the menubar.
The folder icon you just copied will be pasted in the preview for editing. We will just edit the color of the folder and paste it back into the Get Info to get the new icon in color.
- Click the Show Markup Toolbar button as shown to reveal the editing options in the Preview.
- Choose the Adjust Color tool as shown below, it looks like a prism with light shining through.
- Use the sliders to tweak the colors of the folder icon as per your liking.
Folder Color App For Mac
I used the Sepia slider all to the right to add the Sepia effect to the folder. Change the colors using the Tint, Temperature, Saturation sliders as well as make use of the other sliders.
- Once you are done with the coloring, choose Edit -> Select All from the menu bar after clicking on the image. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Command + A to select.
- Press Command + C to Copy the new folder icon.
Head back to the Get Info tab you have opened earlier.
Color Folder Mac Yosemite
- Once again click on the folder icon next to the folder name and hit Command + V to Paste the new colored folder icon over the old one.
You have successfully changed the color of the folder. You can do this coloring to more folders as per your wish. You may also use other image editing tools such as Photoshop if you don’t want to use the built-in Preview app or you want more editing options.
Preview app gives you basic options for changing the color of the folder which is enough for this tutorial to explain. Since the Preview app is the default app to view the photos and videos on the Mac, you have the option to change the default apps to your liking.
If you are being comfortable using the Mac keyboard shortcuts, you should also want to check out these 11 hidden keyboard shortcuts that will make you a power user.
You can find more tips and tricks, guides, and tutorials on Mac and Windows in our Guides section. For more updates on the latest smartphones and tech, follow us on our social media profiles.
Folder Colors For Mac
- Instagram Facebook TikTok